Sunday, July 12, 2009

Around the World in 80 Days

Well it probably has been close to 80 days since we last posted and it feels as if we have been around the world because we have had so much happen between now and then. Chris' good friends held the 2nd annual Tour de South in May and Chris and I had to the opportunity to go this year. The Tour de South is a 340 mile bike ride that takes place in southern Utah over a period of 3 days. Chris did most of the 340 miles of the bike ride and I did about 40 miles. What can I say, I just got my bike. Chris doesn't like this photo because the shadows make it look as though he has a belly but the photo below this one proves he is in great shape :)

I took this picture as Chris was zooming by. I snapped the picture just in time.


Well despite the fact that Chris is in great shape, the Monday after we got back from Tour de South, Chris was eating a snow cone after a long run and could tell his heart wasn't beating correctly after getting a brain freeze. He wasn't in any pain so we decided to see if things were better in the morning. Unfortunately, the morning didn't show any improvement so Chris went to the InstaCare after he dropped me off at work. He called me saying his blood pressure and heart rate were really high and he was waiting to meet with the doctor with the EKG results. I panicked at work so the very nice secretary drove me to the InstaCare. I made it just in time to hear what the doctor had to say. Chris' heart was in atrial fibrillation (the atriums of the heart were quivering rather than beating) so they sent us up to McKay-Dee to meet with the Cardiologist. After settling into his hospital room, the doctors decided to try and correct it with medication but if that didn't work, they were going to shock his heart back into rhythm. It's important to correct the rhythm within 48 hours because blood clots can develop and cause a stroke. Also, it can be more difficult to correct at all and so he would have to rely on medication for the rest of his life. Well, by the next morning the medication had not worked so he was scheduled to have his heart shocked at 8:00 a.m. Fortunately, they rescheduled the cardiovert for 11:00 a.m. At 10:30 a.m., I looked up at the heart monitor and noticed his heart had gone back into rhythm on its own. We were able to go home that day with direction on what to do if his heart went into A-fib again. The doctors don't know why his heart went into A-fib (likely genetics) and said it was unusual for someone as young as him to have this happen (he was the youngest patient on the floor by 40 years at least). He can still run and bike as he pleases which is a true blessing! (This is Chris writting now. Joanna was the greatest. She's an awesome companion. Through the whole ordeal in the hospital she brought me Cafe Rio, a caffeine free Diet Coke, she also slept by me in bed the night we were there. In my view she was the prescription that got my heart back on track. I really LOVE her!)


This is Chris's heart in A-fib. There is not supposed to be those small squiggly lines.

In June, two of my best friends were married and I was lucky to be able to go to the temple ceremony of both. Chelsea was married on June 4th and Alli was married on June 18th. Chelsea and I were brides maids at Alli's wedding. Alli is unfortunately missing from the picture so hopefully I will get some pictures from her.


Chris and I decided to hike up to the Mt. Timpanogas caves. It is a paved hike but boy is it steep! I guess this was in preparation for hiking the unpaved trail to the top of the mountain sometime later this summer (according to Chris that is). This picture is at the top of the trail before we headed back down.


Over the 4th of July weekend, my mother, once again, put together a great family reunion. This year we went up to the Homestead in Midway. We swam in an old volcano crater, ate too much food, went biking and running, went to Park City and rode the alpine coaster, made smores, watched the fire works, and played games. It was so much fun and we can't wait to get together again next year!

Chris also worked a nearly 50 hour stretch with little sleep at the Wasatch Back. It is the biggest race Ragnar has and so all hands were on deck for this one. We are off to Washington state next week because Chris is helping to put on a race up there. Stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I love that you took pics at the hospital. I do that too. I'll see if Greg will let me post any of his surgery. It was fun to be at the reunion with you guys. Hope the heart stays beating well. Good thing for medicine like JoJo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for new posts! I'm glad you posted a long post. Also glad Chris is doing better. Hope your doing good:)

    ReplyDelete