Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sand, Sunburns, and Seafood

Chris has been working in California for the past couple of weeks so I went and spent the weekend with him. Although Chris had to work some of the time, we still were able to do a bunch of fun things. We went running in the mornings by the beach, ate lots of Goldenspoon frozen yogurt, went shopping at Huntington Beach, had a bonfire, drove the PCH, and visited Chris's old Cambodian mission ward. We also spent an afternoon at San Clemente Beach. There was not a single cloud in the sky. It was so nice. The water was a bit too cold for me but Chris was brave and went for a quick swim.

Well, California was having unseasonably hot weather the weekend I was there. It got up into the nineties. So, my relaxing few hours at the beach came with a heavy price. I have spent all day on a boat on a lake and not gotten burned this bad. The picture does not do my sunburn justice. It was SCREAMING RED. My legs swelled so bad from being sunburned that anything I wore made an indentation. It has not been fun but hopefully I get a good tan out of it. Chris also got sunburned but he didn't seem to be suffering as much as I was.

Chris's favorite food in the entire world is seafood, besides my cooking that is. I have never really cared for seafood at all. Chris has convinced me to try seafood and its not that bad, depending on what you get. I have decided that if I am going to eat fish, it has to be a super fresh fish that is mild in flavor and is prepared with yummy sauces and such. I don't like any type of shellfish because the texture is yucky. This weekend I tried lemon pepper Mahi Mahi and Barramundi with a sweet and sour pineapple sauce. They were both pretty tasty. I also was extra daring and tried calamari.

I think Chris ate this piece. I ate the non-tenticle pieces that reminded me of tires for some reason. Not bad but kinda weird. Good thing it was battered and fried.
Let's take a closer look....

California was great. We can't wait to go back!

5 comments:

  1. your hair is getting so long! that's a crazy sunburn!! i like calamari - but I'm not sure I can eat it again after that picture.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! Makes me want to go back. I loved living there for a few months last summer. We only lived 10 minutes from the beach and tons of shopping places. LOVED IT! I Got fried a few times there also. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna, when will you learn with sun burns. I'm remembering a certain Lake Powell trip when you looked like a beet and didn't believe in sun screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I am thoroughly grossed out by that picture - I HATE seafood of any type at all. You are braver than I. And I hope that sunburn taught you to wear sunscreen - silly girl! (I am a believer in all things non-cancerous!) It looks like you guys are enjoying married life. See you in a few months at the reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird that you guys made it to Golden Spoon! You should seriously consider buying into the franchise. Or getting a job there.

    ReplyDelete